Toasted Coconut Rice
- ½ cup unsweetened, shredded coconut
- 1½ cups basmati rice
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1¼ cups water
- 1 teaspoon light agave nectar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Place coconut flakes in a dry saucepan over medium heat and toast, stirring constantly, until golden brown, about 5 minutes; add rice and toast for an additional minute.
- Stir coconut milk, water, agave, and salt with the rice mixture; bring to a boil. Cover the pot, reduce heat to low, and simmer until the liquid has fully absorbed, 15 to 18 minutes.
- Let rice stand covered for 5 minutes; fluff with a fork to serve.
Lightly stir-fry snow peas, red bell peppers, and water chestnuts to either mix in or serve alongside for an even brighter, more-colorful accompaniment.
What others are saying
Jessica Scott says:
I love the flavor of the toasted coconut! It's true, it adds a delicious, nutty taste to the rice. Overall, this is a very rich and fragrant rice dish that works perfectly as a side. I paired it with jerk chicken and the mashed sweet potatoes, also featured on this website. My husband and kids love it! You can also use jasmine rice instead of basmati, both work great in this recipe.
Greg Jones says:
This toasted coconut rice is really good. I haven't exactly found the perfect dish to pair it with, but I enjoy eating it by itself. It's definitely sweet, but subtle in flavor.