Lemon-Garlic Shrimp and Grits
- 3 cups water
- ¾ cup instant grits
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1¼ pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 tablespoons water
- ½ lemon, juiced
- Bring 3 cups of water to a boil in a saucepan. Slowly whisk in grits; season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the Parmesan and 1 tablespoon butter. Remove from heat and cover to keep warm.
- Season shrimp with salt and pepper.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook shrimp, garlic, and cayenne in butter, tossing regularly, until shrimp are pink, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove skillet from heat; add water and lemon juice. Stir shrimp to coat with sauce; season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the grits among shallow bowls; top with the shrimp and sauce. Season with salt and pepper to serve.
- (Optional: Treat yourself to a beautiful Very Berry Smoothie to complete your meal!)
When buying grits, you can choose a coarse or medium grind, or even stone-ground grits. This variety takes about 60 minutes with constant attention to cook on the stovetop. Whereas quick grits cook in about 10 minutes!
What others are saying
Sheila Long says:
I added a little buttermilk to the grits so that they were extra creamy, and used really large shrimp! I also added the cayenne pepper for some added spice. Delicious!
Rachel Douglas says:
Cheesy parmesan grits are always on the menu at my house. I served it with with lots of buttery shrimp (I used more than the recipe called for) and it turned out perfect. Never thought lemon garlic shrimp and grits would go together, but it's fantastic.
Santana Williams says:
Lemon garlic shrimp is the best, so when paired with delicious grits its a win win situation. I didn't do cheese grits, but they were extra buttery. Such a perfect breakfast, so glad I tried this.
Greg Jones says:
Delicious shrimp and grits recipe. The added lemon flavor was different, but I liked it. We eat grits almost every day in my house, so it's nice to try something new. I'm for sure going to make this again.
Laura Griffin says:
This lemon garlic shrimp and grits was so good! I am a huge lover of grits! I swapped out the instant ones, for slow cooking grits, but that's the only change I made to this recipe. It was fantastic! The lemon-garlicky flavors are perfect with shrimp, and really brought a nice contrasting flavor to the buttery grits.