- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped chipotle peppers in adobo
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 4 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 2 cups shredded Mexican blend or Cheddar cheese, divided
- 8 (6 inch) flour tortillas
- Optional Toppings: avocado, Mexican crema, sliced jalapeno, chopped tomato, cilantro, and red onion
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook garlic and chipotle peppers, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Stir tomato sauce, cumin, and oregano with the garlic and peppers; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Toss ¾ cup of the sauce with the chicken and 1 cup shredded cheese in a large bowl.
- Wrap tortillas in damp paper towel and microwave 1 minute to soften.
- Pour ¾ cup sauce mixture in bottom of 12x8-inch baking dish.
- Dip tortillas, one at a time, in remaining sauce or use a pastry brush to brush both sides of the tortilla. Arrange about ½ cup chicken mixture down the center of the sauced tortillas. Roll tortillas around the filling and arrange, seam-side down, in a single layer in the baking dish.
- Pour remaining sauce over enchiladas. Cover dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake enchiladas in preheated oven until hot and bubbling, about 30 minutes.
- Remove foil, sprinkle with remaining cup shredded cheese, and continue to bake until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes more.
- To serve, top with diced avocado, Mexican crema, sliced jalapeno, chopped tomato and onion, or your favorite enchilada toppings.
For a sauce with less heat, split the chipotle peppers and remove the seeds before chopping.