Slow Cooker Butter Chicken
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1½ tablespoons garam masala
- 1 (13.5 ounce) can coconut milk
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken (breasts or thighs), cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Optional: ¼ cup cilantro leaves for garnish, cooked basmati rice, and warmed naan
For best results, we recommend using:
- Melt butter over medium-high heat in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook onion until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add garlic and ginger; cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add tomato paste and garam masala and cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes.
- Stir in coconut milk and broth; season to taste with salt.
- Arrange chicken in the bottom of the crock of a slow cooker. Pour sauce mixture over chicken; add cinnamon stick.
- Cook on High for 3 to 4 hours (or on Low for 6 to 7 hours).
- Sprinkle with cilantro and serve with basmati rice and naan.
Use oil instead of butter for a dairy-free dish. While this recipe works with either chicken breasts or thighs, chicken breasts tend to get a bit dry if cooked for too long in the slow cooker while thighs stay very moist even with a longer cook time. This recipes makes a good amount, but freezes well. Freeze individual portions in containers; thaw and heat in microwave oven when you need dinner in a hurry.
What others are saying
Sam Dalton says:
Butter chicken is so good and this recipe did not disappoint. The sauce was rich and creamy, just how I like it, with a lot of really good flavor. This is for sure a family favorite.
Greg Jones says:
This is a classic butter chicken recipe that is tender and very delicious. This recipe makes a really large batch, so next time I will meal prep for my wife and me. I love putting it in the slow cooker, it makes the cleanup easy and and simple.
Laura Griffin says:
I've always made my butter chicken with yogurt, but this version is just as good. The sauce is creamy, mildly spicy, and tastes amazing. I used thighs for this dish and it was very tender and juicy. This is an awesome recipe!