Thai Mango-Tofu Salad Cups
- Thai Almond Sauce:
- ⅓ cup smooth almond butter
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- ½ red Thai chile (bird’s eye), seeded and minced, or more to taste
- Mango-Tofu Salad:
- 2 (6 to 8 ounce) packages baked tofu, diced
- 2 ripe mangoes, diced
- 1½ cups halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- ⅓ cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 small head Bibb, Boston, or butter lettuce, leaves separated
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
For best results, we recommend using:
- Blend almond butter, lime juice, soy sauce, maple syrup, garlic, ginger, and chile pepper in a blender, pausing to scrape down the sides with your spatula as needed to incorporate any bigger pieces stuck to the container; transfer to a shallow dish for serving. Alternately, put the ingredients into a deep bowl or pot and blend with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Toss tofu, mangoes, tomatoes, jalapeno pepper, cilantro, shallot, lime juice, and salt together in a large bowl.
- Spoon salad into the lettuce leaves. Drizzle sauce over the salad; top with almonds.
Can’t find the right chile pepper? Substitute ¾ to 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes. The sauce can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to two weeks. The salad can be prepared up to a day in advance, covered and stored in the fridge.
What others are saying
Katie Hason says:
The mango was my favorite aspect of this dish! Overall this reminded me of a delicious, Carribbean-inspired vegan salad. The almond sauce was a little zesty and a little sweet, which complemented the salad nicely. I can't wait to make these again, they will be perfect for my next get together.
Sam Dalton says:
I made these salad cups the other day and they were very good. Instead of tofu I used grilled chicken, and it was delicious. The almond sauce is impeccable, definitely a favorite.
Alex Cabral says:
I took this idea to make Thai mango tofu bowls instead of salad cups. I made it with savory coconut rice. For topping I did mango, almonds, and cilantro, and also added avocado, green onions, and red pepper flakes. It was super delicious!
Santana Williams says:
I didn't make this exact sauce, but I loved the tofu wrapped in the lettuce leaves! I used an extra half of a jalapeño for additional spice. It was perfect, so glad that I made this. Definitely don't skip the sliced almonds, they add a great texture and crunch to the salad.
Rachel Douglas says:
Every once in awhile I like to enjoy a meatless meal. This recipe was exactly what I was craving. I was getting tropical vibes while I was eating it, thanks to the mangoes. The Thai almond sauce was also delicious, sans the syrup, I used honey.