Roasted Tofu and Vegetables with Pecan Pesto
- Tofu and Vegetables:
- 1 (14 ounce) package extra-firm tofu, drained and cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ½ pound green beans, cleaned and trimmed
- 2 cups cube-cut butternut squash
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Pecan Pesto:
- ¼ cup toasted pecans
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 (lightly packed) cup fresh basil leaves
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Toss tofu in a large bowl with soy sauce to lightly coat; add green beans and butternut squash. Drizzle olive oil over the mixture and mix gently to coat without breaking tofu.
- Spread tofu and vegetables evenly onto a baking sheet in a single layer.
- Roast in preheated oven until squash is fork-tender, about 30 minutes.
- Turn broiler to High and cook until green beans are blistered and the tofu is golden brown, about 10 minutes more.
- Pulse pecans, nutritional yeast, and garlic in a food processor or blender until no large chunks of garlic remain, about 30 seconds. Scrape down sides of the bowl with a spatula. Add basil and pulse to incorporate. Slowly drizzle lemon juice into the mixture while continuing to pulse to get a fairly rough puree; add salt, pepper, and nutmeg and puree until pesto is smooth. Alternately, put the ingredients into a deep bowl or pot and blend with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Divide tofu and vegetables between bowls; top with pesto.
Nutritional yeast has a strong flavor that is described as nutty, cheesy, or creamy. For this reason, it is often used as an ingredient in cheese substitutes. In this recipe is takes the place of Parmesan cheese in the homemade pesto.
What others are saying
Sam Dalton says:
The pecan pesto was definitely my favorite part of this recipe. I really love the use of the almonds instead of the pine nuts. The roasted tofu and vegetables were delicious too, overall it was delicious and easy.
Katie Hason says:
This was a really light dish packing a ton of great flavor. I loved the garlic, basil, and lemon flavors together in the pecan pesto! Delicious, healthy, and so easy to make. I think roasted sheet pan tofu is my new favorite.