Chipotle Mushroom Tostadas with Pico de Gallo
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, or more as needed
- 1 pound white button mushrooms, sliced
- 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, drained and chopped
- ¼ cup water
- 4 (8 inch) corn tortillas
- 1 tomato, minced
- ¼ cup minced red onion
- 1 serrano pepper, deseeded and minced (optional)
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- ½ lime, juiced
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- sea salt or kosher salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C).
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Working in 2 batches, cook mushrooms in a single layer, stirring once, until browned, 7 to 9 minutes per batch. (If the pan looks dry between batches, add another tablespoon of oil.) Season mushrooms with salt.
- Return the first batch of mushrooms to the pan with the second batch; add chipotle peppers and water. Cook and stir until the water is hot, 30 to 60 seconds. Remove pan from heat.
- Heat tortillas directly on the oven rack without overlapping in the preheated oven until crispy and lightly browned, 5 to 7 minutes; transfer to a serving dish.
- Mix tomato, onion, serrano pepper, cilantro, and lime juice together in a small bowl; season pico de gallo with salt.
- Divide the mushrooms among the tostadas; top with the cheese and pico de gallo.
Baking the tostadas instead of frying them saves calories and still gives you the same great crunch. You can also buy pre-made tostadas at any grocery store if you're short on time. Vegan? Swap the cheese for your favorite dairy substitute.
What others are saying
Tiana D. says:
Made these for my mom who is both vegetarian and a huge Chipotle pepper lover. These were very yummy and easy to make. I will definitely be making these again!
Katie Hason says:
These vegetarian tostadas are so satisfying! The chipotle peppers in adobo give it that authentic, Mexican taste. I've also never made my own pico de gallo at home until now! It was so easy and really fresh! I am never buying store bought again, this is way better.
Sam Dalton says:
These tostadas were really good. I skipped the cheese to make them vegan for my wife. We can't wait to make these again.