Herbed Cashew Cheese
- 2 cups raw cashew pieces
- ¾ cup water
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons refined coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
For best results, we recommend using:
- Bring a saucepan of water to a boil. Reduce heat to medium. Cook cashews in hot water until tender, about 15 minutes; drain and rinse.
- Blend cashews, water, vinegar, coconut oil, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, and salt in a food processor or high-speed blender, pausing to scrape down the sides of the bowl with your spatula as needed, until completely silky smooth. This may take some time so be patient! It will be worth the effort for that perfectly creamy texture in the end. Alternately, blend the ingredients in a blender cup using an immersion blender, moving the wand up and down through the mixture until smooth.
- Line a fine-mesh strainer with cheesecloth and set over a large bowl. Transfer cashew paste to the strainer. Gather edges of the cloth together and secure with a rubber band, effectively forming a round cashew puck within.
- Refrigerate, allowing the excess liquid to drip away into the bowl, until the cashew cheese is solid enough to hold together, at least 12 hours, up to 24 hours.
- Mix parsley, rosemary, thyme, and oregano in a shallow bowl. Gently press herb mixture into the surface of the cashew cheese.
Cashew cheese is packed with vitamins, magnesium, calcium, and is also a good source of protein and fiber. In fact, it is actually higher in vitamins and minerals than standard cheese! The nutritional yeast included in this recipe is high in B vitamins and also contains selenium and potassium.
What others are saying
Katie Hason says:
I was really surprised at how delicious this herb cashew "'cheese" turned out. It was definitely savory, delicious, and was the perfect addition for my wine and cheese soiree! My guests who don't eat dairy were thrilled that I served this.
Jessica Scott says:
This cashew cheese tastes so authentic! I love all the dried herbs too, it was amazing.