Meal Prep: Korean Beef Bowls
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1½ cups water
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups spinach
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- ¼ (packed) cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon sriracha
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup thinly sliced green onion (green and light green parts only)
- sesame seeds, for garnish
- Bring rice and water to a boil in a saucepan; stir. Cover the pan, reduce heat to low, and cook until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Place eggs in a saucepan with enough cold water to cover by 1 inch; bring to a boil. When the water comes to a boil, start a timer for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, remove from heat, drain, and rinse eggs under cold water cool to the touch. Peel and halve eggs lengthwise.
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium-low heat. Cook and stir spinach and garlic cloves in hot oil until spinach has wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove and discard garlic cloves. Season spinach with salt and pepper.
- Whisk soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, and sriracha together in a small bowl until smooth.
- Heat canola oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Cook ground beef and minced garlic in the pan, using your spoon to crumble the beef as it cooks, until beef is completely browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain fat from pan.
- Stir soy sauce mixture and green onions with the beef; cook to reduce the liquid slightly, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Divide rice, eggs, spinach, and ground beef mixture between 4 sealable meal containers. Garnish each portion with sesame seeds. Seal containers and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
Make a big batch of hard boiled eggs over the weekend to enjoy throughout the week! Not only are they great in this recipe, but they make for a healthy, high-protein snack when you need an afternoon pick-me-up!
What others are saying
Allison Jaffe says:
I made this for my meal prep. It was awesomely delicious and easy to do.
Laura Griffin says:
I really enjoyed this Korean beef and rice, it was the perfect meal prep! I went with a lean ground beef, and was pleased with the outcome. This is definitely a new favorite!