Chicken Burrito Bowl Meal Prep
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1½ cups water
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 pound ground chicken
- ½ onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup homemade pico de gallo (recipe below), or store-bought
- ½ cup chipotle cream sauce (recipe below)
- Homemade Pico de Gallo:
- 2 ripe tomatoes, diced
- ¼ white onion, diced
- 1 lime, juiced and zest
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chipotle Cream Sauce:
- ½ cup sour cream or plain non-fat Greek-style yogurt
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 lime, juiced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup cooked corn kernels
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- Bring rice and water to a boil in a saucepan; stir. Cover the pan, reduce heat to low, and cook until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Heat canola oil in large sauté pan over medium heat; add ground chicken and break into small pieces with a stirring utensil. Add onion, garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, paprika, and cayenne pepper to the chicken; cook, stirring frequently, until chicken is completely browned and the onions are translucent, 7 to 10 minutes. Season chicken mixture with salt and pepper.
- Mix tomatoes, white onion, lime juice, lime zest, and cilantro together in a small bow; season with salt and pepper.
- Blend sour cream, chipotle pepper, garlic, and lime juice in a blender until smooth; season with salt and pepper. Divide chipotle cream sauce into 4 small sealable sauce containers.
- Divide rice, ground chicken mixture, black beans, corn, and pico de gallo between 4 sealable meal containers. Put a sauce container into each meal container, seal, and refrigerate up to 4 days.
Using a non-fat Greek yogurt to cut back on calories in the Chipotle Cream Sauce. Try different toppings to switch up the bowls: add crumbled cotija or feta cheese, quick pickled red onions, thinly sliced radishes or homemade guacamole and crumbled tortilla chips.
What others are saying
Jessica Scott says:
I make these chicken burrito bowl meal preps at least one or two weeks out of the month. The chipotle cream sauce is addicting, I get a little carried away with it. Ground chicken is the perfect ingredient to use and saves time that I would otherwise spend dicing chicken breasts.
Laura Griffin says:
This chicken burrito bowl meal prep was so good and much healthier than eating out at the Mexican place down the street! The chipotle cream sauce was so really delicious too, I made an extra batch so have! I love that you can taste all of the spices and ingredients, perfect!
Loren Schaffer says:
I really liked that this recipe makes lunches for the whole week, saved myself lots of $ in Chipotle. I used jalapeno peppers for my cream sauce to give it a little more spice and Fage 0% greek yogurt. Also used refried beans rather than black beans, really good!