One-Pan Chicken & Mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or other neutral-flavored cooking oil
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 8 ounces mixed mushrooms (such as oyster, hen-of-the-wood, chanterelle), torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C).
- Heat oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season chicken thighs generously with salt and pepper; lay into skillet, skin-side down, and cook until chicken skin is golden brown and crispy, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Flip chicken and add mushrooms and vinegar to skillet, stirring the mushrooms between the chicken pieces to coat in chicken fat and vinegar; season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer skillet to preheated oven and bake until an thermometer inserted into the thickest part of a thigh reads 165°F(75°C), 10 to 15 minutes.
- Divide chicken between 4 plates.
- Stir butter into mushrooms to melt; spoon mushrooms and sauce over chicken and garnish with parsley to serve.
If you have a big enough skillet, double the mushrooms for a heartier portion size. Serve with good crusty bread to sop up the sauce.If you prefer, you can also use bone-in, skin on chicken breasts for a lower-fat alternative. Be sure to check their internal temperature, as they may require longer cooking.
What others are saying
Katie Hason says:
My husband and I tried this recipe and it was so simple and delicious! The mushrooms and sauce are perfect, it smells and tastes amazing, so much flavor. He even asked me to make more the very next day!
Jessica Scott says:
Obsessed with this chicken and mushrooms dish! Perfect for busy weeknights when I want something filling and nutritious. I smother rice in the chicken and mushroom sauce, so good!
Taylor Sherice says:
It was delicious. Reminded me of a meal my mom used to make. I made it with chicken breast instead of thighs and paired it with spaghetti sauce and pasta. But you have to make them separately and only combine them on your plate! That way you get the two strong flavors as individuals.
Anne Trevoc says:
I've just been getting into chicken and mushroom lately, but want to steer cleer or button mushrooms (it's a texture thing). This medley with the chicken seemed like a good fit, and the slight butter sauce is a really simple and nice touch. A couple of things stand out for me: make sure to get a great sear on the chicken thighs - that golden crispiness on the skin really can't be beat. The splash of sherry vinegar also adds that nice acidic touch. I will definitely make this again - solid, quick dinner in less than an hour.
Gary Myers says:
I love making one-pan dishes (because I don't like to clean a lot of dishes!) so I tried this one out. The chicken thighs stayed really juicy and the sherry makes the mushrooms pop. I served this over brown rice, really great weeknight dish.