Coconut-Curry Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 butternut squash, halved lengthwise and deseeded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons curry paste
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 5 ounces coconut milk
- ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 2 cups plain, unsweetened coconut milk beverage
- Soak cashews in water for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Arrange squash halves into a roasting pan, skin-sides up.
- Roast in preheated oven until easily pierced with a fork, 35 to 50 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Sauté onion and garlic in hot oil until onions have softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir curry paste into onion mixture.
- Scoop squash from skins into a large pot. Discard skins. Add onion mixture, vegetable stock, coconut milk, and salt to the squash; blend with an immersion blender fitted with the blade attachment until smooth.
- Place pot over medium-low heat; bring to a simmer.
- Drain cashews and place into a bowl. Pour coconut milk beverage over the cashews; blend with immersion blender fitted with blade attachment until smooth.
- Stir cashew mixture into the simmering soup until consistent in color.
Use your favorite soy or almond milk in place of the coconut milk beverage; just make sure it's neither sweetened nor flavored. Use red or green curry paste to evoke Thai flavors, or the equivalent amount of curry powder for a more Indian taste.
What others are saying
Katie Hason says:
This was a really delicious, creamy soup. The coconut milk was the perfect addition. The curry flavors were also very rich and vibrant! Incredible recipe, I can't wait to make this again.
Sam Dalton says:
I love this soup, the curry paste and coconut milk is the perfect complement to butternut squash. Overall this recipe is creamy and flavorful.