Skinny Orange Chicken
- 2 pounds chicken breast, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 (1 inch) piece ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- ½ orange, cut into 4 wedges
- Season chicken with salt and red pepper flakes.
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Sauté chicken in oil until lightly browned, about 4 minutes.
- Stir orange juice, soy sauce, vinegar, orange zest, honey, cornstarch, garlic, and ginger together in a bowl with a whisk until smooth; pour over the chicken, bring to a boil, and cook until thickened, about 1 minute. Remove pan from heat.
- Divide brown rice between four bowls; ladle chicken and sauce over the rice. Sprinkle green onions and sesame seeds over the chicken; serve with an orange wedge.
Try quinoa in place of the brown rice for a lighter grain accompaniment.
What others are saying
Caro Hodgin says:
Make this Orange Chicken NOW!!!! Walk, don't run! It is SO EASY, so fast, and so delicious. The sauce is sweet and salty and a little spicy and just absolutely perfect. It thickens up quickly and is sooo good. Two thumbs up.
Katie Hason says:
I tried this orange chicken and I'm obsessed. I especially love that it's not fried or breaded. The sauce is really good, you can definitely taste the orange flavors, it really shines in this dish. No added sugar is a plus! I can't believe how something can taste so good and also be good for you! Hands down the greatest skinny orange chicken ever!
Laura Griffin says:
Really delicious orange chicken that's not fried! It's a skinny version but honestly you wouldn't know the difference because it tastes better than takeout. I served it with rice, and it was fantastic.
Stephanie D says:
The only thing I changed was using less orange zest and and juice. I did 1/4 cup instead, so it wasn't as sweet. I really like the way this turned out.
Erica Schaefer says:
This is great with quinoa! I also used maple syrup instead of honey, it was really good.