Vegan Butter Chickpea Curry
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1½ teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1¼ cup water
- 2 cups dried chickpeas, soaked overnight
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- ½ cup coconut milk
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker set to Sauté. Cook and stir onion, garlic, and ginger in hot oil until onion is translucent, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir garam masala, coriander, paprika, and cumin with the onion mixture; season with salt and pepper. Cook mixture until spices are fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir tomato sauce and water with the onion mixture; bring to a simmer while scraping browned bits of food from pot surface.
- Drain chickpeas and add to the tomato sauce mixture.
- Press Cancel and seal lid on pressure cooker, turn steam vent to Sealing, and cook on High Pressure for 35 minutes. Let pressure release naturally.
- Stir bell pepper and cream into chickpeas; cook on Keep Warm until heated through.
What others are saying
Laura Griffin says:
I made this the other night and my husband and I both loved it! The flavor and spice was perfect. My husband added a little cayenne to his because he likes heat in all his dishes. It's such an easy recipe, well done!
Jessica Scott says:
The flavors in this dish were perfect! The bell peppers were a nice complement to the sauce and chickpeas. My husband actually added chicken to his, and he loved it too. We can't get enough of Indian food, and this vegetarian version is right up my alley!