Pressure Cooker Vegan Bolognese
- 3½ cups tomato sauce
- ½ cup red wine
- ½ cup water
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, finely shredded
- ¾ cup green lentils
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- salt to taste
- 4 zucchinis, spiralized using the 3mm blade
- Pour tomato sauce, red wine, and water into the steel pot of your pressure cooker; add onion, carrots, green lentils, garlic, rosemary, thyme, oregano, and bay leaf. Stir mixture to incorporate spices; season with salt.
- Seal lid on pressure cooker, turn steam vent handle to Sealing, and select Pressure Cook. Cook on High Pressure for 20 minutes. Turn steam vent handle to Venting to quick-release pressure.
- Remove and discard the bay leaf.
- Divide zucchini between 4 bowls and top with bolognese to serve.
Dried herbs are generally more potent and concentrated than fresh herbs. Typically you need three times less the amount of dried herbs than fresh herbs. This recipe calls for 1 teaspoon each of the dried herbs, but you can substitute 1 Tablespoon of fresh herbs if you prefer.
For more recipes made with bolognese, you might enjoy:
What others are saying
Katie Hason says:
I've made this vegan lentil bolognese a few times already and love it! I'm not vegan but from time to time like to skip meat. This sauce is hearty and delicious, you honestly won't miss having meat on your plate. I serve it with spaghetti noodles and with zucchini, depending on how I'm feeling.
Sam Dalton says:
This lentil bolognese was surpassingly delicious. I opted not to use red wine, and the flavors were still spot on. Instead of serving over zucchini noodles, I used real pasta. It was quick and easy.
Erin Hudson says:
Recipes like this make trying a vegan diet easier. I used the lentil bolognese to make stuffed shells and the family loved it. I didn't have green lentils but I had a bag of red lentils and it still turned out great.
Chaz Norwood says:
I made this vegan bolognese and used the sauce to make lasagna filling. Very delicious, lots of good flavor and fairly simple to prepare.