Kale Caesar Salad
- Avocado Dressing:
- ½ avocado
- ½ lemon, zested and juiced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- ¼ cup nonfat Greek-style yogurt
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup panko
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large (or 2 small) head romaine lettuce, cut into ½-inch strips
- 3 leaves lacinato kale (leafy green part only), cut into ½-inch strips
- ¼ cup shaved Parmesan cheese
For best results, we recommend using:
- Blend avocado, lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, yogurt, water, Parmesan cheese, Dijon mustard, salt, and pepper in a blender until smooth. Alternately, put the ingredients into a blender cup and blend with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C).
- Mix panko, garlic, and salt together with a fork. Drizzle oil over the panko mixture and mix thoroughly with your hands. Spread panko onto a baking sheet.
- Toast panko in the preheated oven until just turning brown, 2 to 4 minutes. Keep a close eye on the panko, as it can burn quickly. Set panko aside to cool completely.
- Toss romaine lettuce and kale together in a large bowl; drizzle dressing over the greens and toss to coat.
- Spread dressed salad onto a platter; top with toasted panko crumbs and shaved Parmesan to serve.
Lacinato kale is also known as dinosaur kale or Tuscan kale. It is a variety of kale that is often used in Italian cuisine, especially the cuisine of Tuscany. (Thus the name!)
What others are saying
Stephanie D says:
Such an easy recipe! We had friends over last minute and I was able to put this salad together quickly. The only thing I changed was I used just romaine lettuce. Simple!
Leah M says:
I thought this salad was pretty good. The only reason I didn't rate it 5 stars was because the avocado dressing. It was tasty, but didn't remind me of Caesar dressing at all. I also used regular bread crumbs instead of panko, but I definitely want to try making the breadcrumbs in this recipe because they sound delicious. All in all, delicious salad.
Jessica Scott says:
this salad is so yummy! it's my absolute favorite salad to make. avocado isn't traditional for caesar salads, but it's still a delicious dressing and very creamy.
Greg Jones says:
The creamy avocado dressing in this recipe was definitely one of my favorite aspects of this dish. I'll definitely be making it again and serving it with other salads. I also really liked the breadcrumbs made from panko. They had a great taste and texture.
Sam Dalton says:
I really like this kale salad! I didn't miss the anchovies in the dressing at all. This vegetarian version is light and delicious, with true to taste flavors in the dressing. The shaved Parmesan cheese was the perfect garnishment, I added a little extra. What I loved most though is the toasted Panko bread crumbs. That was such a good idea, it was nice and crunchy.