Meal Prep: Chicken Fried Rice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 3 cups cooked short-grain brown rice, preferably a day or two old
- 1½ cups cooked chicken chunks
- 1½ cups frozen peas and carrots, thawed
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup low-sodium soy sauce, plus more for serving
- 1 pound cooked green beans
- Melt butter and oil together in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook eggs in the oil, moving continually with a spatula until cooked into small curds.
- Stir rice, chicken, peas and carrots, green onions, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes with the egg; cook until rice begins to brown, about 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Stir ¼ cup soy sauce into the rice mixture; cook for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and allow rice to cool completely.
- Divide rice and cooked green beans between 4 resealable containers; garnish with green onions.
- Pour additional soy sauce into portion cups; place into containers.
- Seal containers and refrigerate meals for up to 4 days.
Love spice? Feel free to add a little more red pepper flakes or even add a drizzle of sriracha for added heat!
What others are saying
Cara Larson says:
Yum! I had to make with freshly cooked rice but it was still a big hit with the kids. We fried up some chicken nuggets (judge me if you want) and it turned out great.
McKenzie C says:
I always end up adding extra eggs to my fried rice, it never seems like enough. For this recipe I did three. Also, I didn't use any chicken for this recipe and I subbed garlic powder for minced garlic. Overall this was super yummy, and the kids love it too.
Melissa Hunter says:
I made this twice, and I can say hands down the day old rice was incredibly better.. The first time I made it, my "fried" rice turned out mushy because I cooked it that same night. This was better than takeout! Use day old rice!
Tiana D. says:
I was able to make this recipe completely out of my freezer and pantry, which is a total plus for a working mom. This recipe made enough leftovers for our family to eat it all week. I used a bag of frozen veggies and carrots I needed to use up. Quick and easy!
Sam Dalton says:
Perfect fried rice recipe and great for my weekly meal prep. Next time I will try it with another protein like shrimp or steak.
Laura Griffin says:
I'm obsessed with chicken fried rice, it's one of my favorite things to order for take-out. I decided to go out on a whim and make it myself. It was so yummy! Using two day old rice was perfect, I don't know why I had not thought of that before. The rice wasn't mushy at all, like the previous failed attempts at making fried rice. This recipe is fantastic.