Pressure Cooker Barbeque Chicken Sandwiches
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups prepared barbeque sauce
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups shredded green cabbage
- 4 soft sandwich buns (or homemade bread)
For best results, we recommend using:
- Season chicken with salt and place into the inner pot of a pressure cooker; add barbeque sauce, onion, and garlic. Turn chicken to coat in sauce.
- Lock pressure cooker lid in place and set steam vent to Sealing.
- Select Pressure Cook (Manual) and cook for 15 minutes on High pressure.
- Once the cooking cycle has completed allow pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes, then set steam vent to Venting to quick-release remaining pressure.
- Shred chicken with two forks and stir into the sauce.
- Allow chicken and sauce to simmer on Keep Warm until the sauce thickens, about 15 minutes.
- While the sauce thickens, stir the parsley, vinegar, mayonnaise, and salt together in a large bowl; add cabbage and toss to coat.
- Divide the chicken between the sandwich buns; top with coleslaw and finish the sandwiches to serve.
Save time by purchasing a bag of pre-shredded cabbage. A bag of broccoli slaw also works well for an additional flavor and nutritional boost! This slaw tastes great with traditional mayonnaise, reduced-fat mayo, or mayonnaise blended with olive oil.
What others are saying
Jazzy Brewer says:
Made this with my husbands famous spicy bbq sauce. This is a great recipe for small get togethers. The meat comes out really tender and juicy, people will think you slow smoked it on the grill.
Melissa P says:
Used mayo blended with avocado oil, and it was amazing. I made bbq chicken sliders with Hawaiian sweet rolls.
Randall Hauk says:
Just made this for dinner for me and the boys after a day at the soccer game. Very tasty, no doubt! Ate it on crusty bread with Tim's chips. Kids put the chips IN their sandwiches. Genius! They requested this on nachos for another dinner. GENIUS! Maybe some time we will have it with steamed vegetables and try to be somewhat reasonable about our meal choices, I am sure. Thanks for the recipe!
Sam Dalton says:
Chicken thighs were the perfect choice for this shredded chicken. The meat was tender and sopped up the sauce perfectly. This is for sure my go to barbecue chicken recipe.
Laura Griffin says:
These sandwiches were delicious! I skipped the cole slaw and had just the barbecue chicken on slider buns, it's that delicious. My husband, on the other hand, added extra cole slaw to his. This is definitely one of our favorites.