Pressure Cooker Mexican Shredded Chicken
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3 chipotle peppers in adobo, finely chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- Season chicken with cumin, salt, and garlic powder.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker set to Sauté. Sear chicken on both sides in hot oil until brown, about 3 minutes; remove chicken to a plate with a slotted spoon.
- Add remaining tablespoon olive oil to the pot to get hot. Cook onion and garlic in hot oil until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Stir tomatoes, chipotle peppers, and chicken with the onion mixture; add lime juice.
- Seal lid on pressure cooker, turn steam vent to Sealing, and cook on High Pressure for 9 minutes. Immediately turn steam vent to Venting to Quick Release pressure.
- Remove chicken to a large bowl; shred with two forks.
- Press Cancel on pressure cooker. Press Sauté to bring liquid to a simmer; cook, stirring frequently, until volume of liquid reduces by half, about 7 minutes.
- Press Cancel on pressure cooker. Return shredded chicken to pot; stir to coat in sauce.
This Mexican Shredded Chicken reheats well and is perfect for packed lunches. Store in individual-sized airtight containers in the refrigerator and enjoy throughout the week!
What others are saying
Blaire Benike says:
This recipe is a keeper! I can’t believe how much flavor this recipe has, it tastes like it’s been cooking for hours!
Katie Hason says:
I use this recipe for everything! Tacos, enchiladas, quesadillas, etc. It's perfect for all of my favorite Mexican dishes. The cumin, tomatoes, and chipotle peppers in adobo give it incredible flavor. It works with thighs and breasts, I've tried both. Definitely a favorite.