Pressure Cooker Creamy Wild Rice Soup
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 5 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 5 stalks celery, diced
- 1 cup wild rice
- 1 cup fresh diced mushrooms
- ½ yellow onion, chopped
- 1½ tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups milk, divided
- Stir vegetable broth, carrots, celery, rice, mushrooms, onion, garlic, salt, and thyme together in the steel pot of your pressure cooker.
- Lock pressure cooker lid in place and set steam vent to Sealing.
- Select Pressure Cook (Manual) and cook for 45 minutes on High pressure.
- Once the cooking cycle has completed, set steam vent to Venting to quick-release pressure.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir flour into melted butter; cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir ½ cup milk into the flour mixture until smooth; repeat with remaining milk. Cook until you have a thick and creamy sauce, about 2 minutes.
- Stir sauce into the wild rice soup.
Did you know, wild rice is actually a grass? It is harvested as a grain and is native to North America. Wild rice is high in protein, dietary fiber, and low in fat. It is also gluten-free.
What others are saying
George Delamea says:
You HAVE to try this! You won't believe how great this is on a cold day. I would recommend not changing a thing; this recipe is perfect as-is. I wanted to add more vegetables, but didn't and am glad I didn't.
Randall Hauk says:
Creamy rice dishes are so comforting. This one is no exception. I loved the use of wild rice, which I find to be vastly underrated/underused. I used chanterelle mushrooms because I had them. Definitely better than white or even cremini.
Sam Dalton says:
This was a really good soup. I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out, but it was delicious. Wild rice is a favorite ingredient in our house, so whenever we have an opportunity to cook with it we do.
Laura Griffin says:
I'm obsessed with this creamy soup. It was so delicious! I used chicken broth instead of vegetable broth, so technically mine wasn't vegetarian, but it was so good. Definitely going to make it again!
Melissa P says:
Could not find pure wild rice so had to use a blend that had other grains mixed it with it. I really enjoyed this recipe, I thought it had nice flavor and loved the creamy element. Wouldn’t mind making this again but with chicken.
Melissa Nick says:
Too pasty. I had to thin it out with extra broth and water. I didn't think the flavor was that great, either.