Pressure Cooker Lemon Chicken and Rice
- 5 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 lemons, zested and juiced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1½ cups chicken broth
- 1 cup jasmine rice, rinsed until water runs clear
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley, or to taste
- 8 lemon slices
- Combine chicken, juice and zest of two lemons, oregano, garlic, and sea salt in a ziplock bag to marinate for at least 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in the inner steel pot of pressure cooker set to Sauté on Normal.
- Cook and stir onion in hot oil until softened and translucent, about 3 minutes; add chicken broth and rinsed rice. Season rice mixture with salt and pepper.
- Empty bag with chicken and marinade into pot.
- Lock pressure cooker lid in place and set steam vent to Sealing.
- Select Pressure Cook (Manual) and cook for 12 minutes on High pressure.
- Once the cooking cycle has completed, set steam vent to Venting to quick-release pressure.
- Divide chicken and rice between 4 plates; garnish with parsley and lemon slices.
One benefit of the pressure cooker is the ability to get great flavor from a shorter marination. Cooking the chicken in the marinade provides a stronger, brighter flavor than you might otherwise get with only ten minutes.
What others are saying
Garcia B says:
Definitely one of my favorite recipes on the site. The lemony rice and lemony chicken may seem like overload but it’s not! I ate lots of this, no regrets. Served it with a side of asparagus.
Blakely James says:
Left the marinade in for half an hour. It was incredibly flavorful. Probably one of my favorite recipes to date. The rice was nice and creamy, but not mushy - just how I like it. I paired it with a light salad.
Erin Hudson says:
I found this dish and instantly thought this would be amazing using fish. My husband spent the day on the water and came home with a few flounder. We used flounder filets instead of chicken and it was absolutely amazing. I cut down the cooking time to about 3-4 mins for the fish and it was super juicy.
Gary Richards says:
This was so good! Easy to make and delicious too. I’ll be making this again!
Shanon Tessier says:
Absolutely LOVE this dish! I marinated the chicken though for about 3 hours. (I also fork my chicken so the marinade really gets in there) this is a VERY strong lemon flavor though because of all the marination time but I love it. If you are not a fan of strong lemon you might not like this or maybe just decrease the amount in the marinade/what you put in the pot for the rice.
Terri Los says:
I followed this exact using an instant pot. I was never able to get to pressure, as my IP kept beeping with “burn” warnings displayed. I would stop, stir, and start over per mfr notes, I also added more broth. I ended up using the “rice” button after multiple failed attempts. Everything was cooked through, but not pretty. The burnt rice on the bottom is the worst I’ve ever experienced. Overall the flavor was good and we still ate it but it took longer than described tome and was a mess. I would not make this recipe using these instructions again.
Bri Str says:
Could not get the pressure to build in the pot it kept saying “burn”. No matter how many times I stirred, added some broth, and put it back on pressure cooking it would still display “burn”. Not sure why this recipe did not turn out right but the rice was burnt on the bottom of the instant pot. I had to take the meal out of the pressure cooker and bake it in the oven. Not sure what the trick to a successful Lemon chicken meal would be in the instant pot.
Dylan Robinson says:
Good meal. Easy and less that $20. The lemon was good with the rice but I think it would have been good without the lemon as well
Felisha Cortez says:
This was amazing. We used 4 chicken breast and doubled the lemon zest, oregano, and garlic, along with adding 2 cups of rice. It’s hands down one of the families top favorites
Stacy Neal says:
I had a similar issue as some others... the pressure cooker never came up to pressure when it started counting down the preset time. I followed recipe exactly and had the knob in correct position. When I opened it up after the prescribed time, chicken was not cooked through. I won’t use this recipe again
Marie Dunlap says:
Really 4.5 stars. Cooked this tonight and it’s really good but REALLY lemony. It was great with a side of asparagus. Might be better for everyday with a little less intense lemon flavor, like maybe only zest 1 lemon.
Jennifer Attiyat says:
I quite enjoyed this recipe however my husband is not a fan of lemon and it was a little overpowering for him