Classic Old Fashioned Cocktail
- 1 teaspoon fine sugar (or 1 sugar cube)
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- 2 drops water
- 2 fluid ounces bourbon or rye whiskey
- ice cubs, as desired
- optional garnish: orange peel, maraschino cherry
- Put sugar in a cocktail glass; add bitters and water.
- Pour whiskey over the sugar and stir to dissolve.
- Drop ice cubes into glass; stir.
- Garnish your cocktail with an orange peel and cherry to serve.
An orange peel and a maraschino cherry are the classic adornments for an Old Fashioned, but feel free to use what's in season to give your cocktail a fresh spin. A thin slice of apple would be perfect in the Fall.