Cheesy Zoodles in Sweet Pepper Cream Sauce
- 3 zucchini - ends trimmed, spiralized using the 2mm blade, and noodles trimmed
- 1½ tablespoons butter
- 1½ sweet mini bell peppers, diced
- ¼ cup diced yellow onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ⅓ cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
For best results, we recommend using:
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook zucchini noodles until tender yet slightly firm to the bite, about 5 minutes. Drain.
- Melt butter over low heat in a deep skillet. Sauté mini bell peppers and yellow onion in butter until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir garlic and basil into pepper-onion mixture; cook until fragrant, 30 seconds.
- Pour chicken broth over pepper-onion mixture, cover, and bring to a simmer. Stir heavy cream into broth mixture; return to a simmer. Add red pepper flakes, paprika, salt, and black pepper. Simmer pepper sauce until flavors combine, about 10 minutes.
- Spread zucchini noodles into the bottom of a glass baking dish and pour pepper sauce on top. Sprinkle mozzarella and Cheddar cheese over zoodles and sauce.
- Bake in the preheated oven until cheese melts, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Increase heat to broil. Broil noodles until cheese is golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes.
Make this a dairy-free meal by substituting coconut milk (the canned version) or almond milk and skip the cheeses at the end. Coconut milk will add a nice richness and a slight coconut flavor.
Make this vegetarian by using vegetable broth instead of the chicken broth.
Try this recipe with other spiralized vegetables instead of the zucchini. Yellow squash or sweet potatoes are nice colorful options.