Chickpea Leek Soup
- 1½ tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 leeks, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- pinch salt
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 potato, peeled and cut into chunks
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- grated Parmesan cheese
- splash lemon juice
For best results, we recommend using:
- Heat butter and oil in a stockpot over medium-high heat; sauté leeks and garlic with a pinch salt until leeks are tender and sweet, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add chickpeas and potato to leek mixture and sauté for 1 minute. Add ⅔ the stock and simmer until potato is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Blend soup in the stockpot using an immersion blender until desired consistency is reached, adding the remaining stock to thin soup as desired. Alternately, working in batches, pour soup into a blender and blend until desired consistency is reached. Add Parmesan cheese to taste. Check for seasoning and pour in lemon juice to taste. Top soup with more Parmesan cheese if desired.
You can use chicken stock in place of the vegetable stock for a richer flavor.
Omit the butter and Parmesan cheese to make this a vegan soup! Just double the olive oil when you sauté the leeks and garlic.
Serve with your favorite crusty bread or toasted pita bread or naan.