- 1 or 2 baguettes, cut on the bias into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 shallot, roughly chopped
- 1 ½ teaspoons lemon juice, or to taste
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 English cucumber, cut into paper-thin rounds (use a mandolin if you have one)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Spread baguette slices in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Toast baguette slices in the preheated oven, turning once, until slightly crisp, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Remove toasts from oven and cool.
- Blend cream cheese, shallot, lemon juice, salt, and pepper in a food processor until smooth.
- Spread cream cheese mixture on toasts. Place 3 or 5 cucumber slices on top of each in a fan formation.
Try different flavors in the cream cheese spread. Add roasted garlic, fresh garlic, or caramelized onions to the mixture before processing in the food processor. Use goat cheese instead of the cream cheese for an extra creamy flavor. If you like salmon, stir some smoked or canned salmon into the spread after processing it in the food processor.
What others are saying
Lindsey Robinson says:
I made these appetizers for my friends baby shower and it was a hit! She had a co-ed baby shower so I was a little worried about what the guys would think of this delicate looking appetizer, but they ate more than the women did! So good, especially the cream cheese.