Pressure Cooker Creamy Spinach Parmesan Farro
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup semi-pearled farro
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken or beef broth
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for topping
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- juice of ½ lemon
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
For best results, we recommend using:
- Select pressure cooker setting to Sauté on Normal. Add butter.
- Sauté onion in the hot butter until translucent and soft, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add farro and garlic to onion and continue cooking, stirring frequently, until farro is toasted, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir broth into farro mixture.
- Lock pressure cooker lid in place and set steam vent to Sealing.
- Pressure cook on High for 9 minutes. Allow pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes, then quick-release any remaining pressure.
- Stir Parmesan cheese into farro mixture until fully melted.
- Stir spinach and lemon juice into farro mixture just before serving. Season with salt and pepper.
For a step-by-step view of this recipe, check out our Mealthy Creamy Spinach Parmesan Farro article here.
Using beef broth instead of the chicken broth really does make this dish tasty. It adds another level of flavor and richness. Substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth and you'll have a vegetarian dish!
What others are saying
Jace Howard says:
You had me at creamy! Super simple, super delicious recipe and will leave you wanting more. You don't have to worry about it being over or undercooked either, the timing is perfect.
Nicholas Parham says:
It is a really simple and nice dish. I added in broccoli just to up the vegetable-ness in it. But it did come out nicely for a quick dinner meal. Will do again (especially when I figure out the best way to cook farro)