Pressure Cooker Spicy Pumpkin Pasta
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup pumpkin purée
- ½ cup milk
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 12 ounces gluten-free penne pasta
- 1 cup baby spinach
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, plus more for topping
For best results, we recommend using:
- Set pressure cooker to Sauté on Normal. Melt butter and cook red bell pepper until soft, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth, pumpkin purée, milk, brown sugar, chili powder, cumin, nutmeg, salt, and pepper to red bell pepper; stir until well combined. Stir penne pasta into pumpkin mixture.
- Lock pressure cooker lid in place and set steam vent to Sealing. Select Pressure Cook and cook for 12 minutes on High Pressure. Let pressure release naturally for 20 minutes.
- Stir spinach and Parmesan cheese into pasta mixture.
- Serve pasta topped with more Parmesan cheese.
Make this a vegan dish by substituting vegan margarine for the butter, a dairy-free milk (like unsweetened, plain almond milk) for the milk, and skip the Parmesan cheese.
You don't have to use gluten-free pasta for this dish. Other shapes of pasta like rotini or rigatoni are good options too.
What others are saying
Max Heron says:
This pasta isn't "spicy" per se, but it's full of spice and flavor. If you like pasta and pumpkin, this recipe is a win-win. Perfect bowl of carbs to cozy up to on a cold day. Also, I didn't use gluten free pasta, I actually used rigatoni because that's what I had on had.
Brooke Prater says:
I used roasted red peppers instead of regular bell peppers for this recipe, and I think it subbed nicely. I also used regular penne instead of gluten free. I love being able to dump everything in the pot and walk away. Winning!