Pressure Cooker Fennel, Parsnip, and Rutabaga Soup
- 2 tablespoon ghee
- 1 fennel head, chopped and top removed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped ginger
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 to 7 parsnips, peeled and chopped
- ¾ large rutabaga (about 3 to 4 cups, peeled and chopped)
- 2 quarts bone broth
- 4 tablespoon coconut aminos
- 2 tablespoon liquid aminos
- Optional toppings: coconut cream, crushed almonds, parsley, micro greens, radish
- Heat ghee in pressure cooker set to Sauté on Normal. Sauté fennel, onion, garlic, and ginger in hot ghee until onion and celery soften, about 4 minutes; season with cumin and salt.
- Press Cancel on pressure cooker.
- Stir parsnips, rutabaga, bone broth, coconut aminos, and liquid aminos with the onion mixture.
- Lock pressure cooker lid in place and set steam vent to Sealing.
- Select Pressure Cook (Manual) and cook for 10 minutes on High pressure.
- Allow pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, then set steam vent to Venting to quick-release remaining pressure.
- Use immersion blender to purée all ingredients until soup is smooth.
- Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with desired toppings to serve.
To make this recipe vegan, use coconut oil and vegetable broth instead of the ghee and bone broth.
Use other root vegetables like carrots and sweet potatoes for a different flavor and color.
What others are saying
Avi Foxi says:
Very flexible recipe - and great every time. Most recently was vegan, with sweet potato, parsnips, and zucchini. Seasoning consistent with recipe, and coconut oil instead of ghee. Very yum.
Eddie Luciano says:
When most people are pulling out their slow cookers for fall, I'm breaking out the pressure cooker to make soups and chilis. I added this recipe to my repertoire and it's easily a new favorite. Great texture, very creamy, and easy to make. Only substitution I made was using regular butter instead of ghee.
Nathalie D says:
Lots of rich, earthy flavors in this soup recipe. I didn't use bone broth, but swapped it for chicken broth instead. If you're looking for a nutritious, veggie-packed soup this is a good one to try.