Pressure Cooker Southwest Sweet Potato and Corn Chowder
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, minced (seeded if desired)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups sweet potato, diced
- 4 cups frozen corn
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle powder
- 4 whole bay leaves
- 8 oz heavy cream
- Heat butter in pressure cooker set to Sauté on Normal. Sauté onion, red bell pepper, jalapeño pepper, and garlic until onion is translucent and peppers are soft, about 5 minutes. Stir sweet potatoes, corn, and vegetable broth into onion mixture. Press Cancel.
- Add salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, paprika, chipotle powder, and bay leaves to sweet potato mixture.
- Lock pressure cooker lid in place and set steam vent to Sealing. Select Pressure Cook (Manual) and cook for 10 minutes on High Pressure. Allow pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes.`
- Remove bay leaves and place half the soup in a bowl and blend until smooth with an immersion blender.
- Return blended soup to pot and turn on pot to Sauté on Low. Add heavy cream and cook for 10 minutes.
If you are lactose intolerant, use coconut milk or almond milk in place of the heavy cream,
Make a big batch on Sunday and ladle into individual containers and store to the refrigerator for lunch during the week.
What others are saying
Aja A says:
This soup was so good! On it's own, it was delicious, but I had quite a bit left over and we didn't want soup days in a row. So I wouldn't waste it, I figured this would be a somewhat healthy sauce. I made this soup a base for sauce for baked enchiladas! My mom and I loved it. I definitely recommend giving this one a try especially since it can be utilized for another recipe later.
Nathalie D says:
First time making a soup with sweet potatoes and it's crazy delicious. The best part is the jalapeño pepper to complement the southwest flavors. I impressed myself, I didn't know I could make something so good at home!
Elena Weissman says:
Followed recipe exactly and this was delicious! Got rave reviews from everyone. I used a large jalapeño and added half the seeds...it was perfect for my crowd but might have been too spicy for some. Great texture and depth of flavors. Will definitely make again!