Pressure Cooker Beet Pasta
- 1 bunch beets (about 5 small beets, greens removed)
- ¼ cup warm vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 4 to 6 cups cooked pasta
- Scrub the beets well. Trim off the ends but do not peel.
- Place a steamer basket in a pressure cooker and add 1½ cups water. Arrange the beets on the rack.
- Lock pressure cooker lid in place and set steam vent to Sealing. Select Pressure Cook and cook for 15 minutes High Pressure.
- Set steam vent handle to Venting to quick-release pressure.
- Beets should be tender all the way through when pierced with a metal carving fork. Run under cold water to cool and slip off the skins.
- Place beets, vegetable broth, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes in a high-speed blender and blend until sauce is smooth.
- Toss sauce with pasta!
For large beets, cut in half to reduce cooking time and ensure they cook through.
Optional: pair with avocado, greens, and some tempeh!
Replace pasta with spiralized zucchini or a chickpea pasta for extra protein. For non-vegan, replace vegetable broth with bone broth.
What others are saying
Jen the Mighty says:
Earthy flavor from the beets is a great idea, and this is a really beautiful color. A feast for the eyes and the belly.
Alli Shircliff says:
I am a nutritionist and love that this is naturally such a beautiful color. Adding an earthy flavor to pasta is such a great idea!
Tony Latessa says:
Super easy and tasty. Has an earthy flavor, which I was not expecting. Great for a late summer pasta
Lê Sang says: