Pressure Cooker Vegan Butternut Cashew Macaroni and “Cheese”
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- ½ cup chopped butternut squash
- ½ onion, chopped
- ½ cup raw cashews
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- ¼ cup full-fat coconut milk or cream
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups cooked macaroni pasta
- Place vegetable broth, potato, butternut squash, onion, cashews, and garlic in the bottom of a pressure cooker.
- Lock pressure cooker lid in place and set steam vent to Sealing. Select Pressure Cook (Manual) and cook for 8 minutes on High Pressure.
- Set steam vent handle to Venting to quick-release pressure.
- Remove lid and transfer vegetable mixture using a slotted spoon into a high speed blender. Add ¾ cup leftover hot broth. Alternately, transfer vegetable mixture using a slotted spoon to a large, deep bowl.
- Add coconut milk, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper to the blender or bowl. Blend on high in the blender (or using an immersion blender in the large bowl) until sauce is very smooth.
- Toss sauce with cooked pasta in a bowl until evenly coated.
Substitute kabocha squash, sweet potatoes, or pumpkin for the butternut squash. Serve with zucchini noodles for a lighter, gluten-free and grain-free version, or serve with chickpea or lentil pasta for a protein boost.
Other varieties of pasta can be used besides macaroni. Rotini or penne are also good options.
What others are saying
Alli Shircliff says:
Cashews and nutritional yeast are such a great way to make this dish creamy and hearty without the dairy. I love the tang of nutritional yeast.