Pressure Cooker Authentic Chicken Tinga
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, or as needed
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 pound chicken breast, cut into 1½ -inch strips
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (7.5 ounce) can Chipotle peppers in adobe sauce, or to taste
- ½ cup water
- To Serve
- corn tortillas, shredded cheese, lime slices, cilantro
For best results, we recommend using:
- Heat oil in inner steel pot of pressure cooker set to Sauté on High. Sauté onion and garlic in hot oil until translucent, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add chicken to onions and season with chili powder, salt, and pepper. Sauté until chicken is golden brown on all sides, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Stir diced tomatoes, chipotle peppers with adobo sauce, and water into chicken.
- Lock pressure cooker lid in place and set steam vent handle to Sealing. Select Pressure Cook (Manual) and cook on High Pressure for 10 minutes. When cooking cycle is complete, move steam vent handle to Venting to quick-release pressure.
- Transfer chicken to a deep plate or bowl with a slotted spoon. Use 2 forks to shred chicken. Add 1 cup cooking liquid to shredded chicken and stir.
- Top warm tortillas with shredded chicken and garnish with shredded cheese, fresh cilantro, and a squeeze of lime.
You can serve this versatile chicken dish on hamburger rolls, on top of Mexican rice, in a wrap with your favorite veggies, and much more.
What others are saying
Jen the Mighty says:
This recipe is so easy and so good. My picky family LOVES it - just made it again and my daughter literally ate eight tacos in one sitting (street tacos, but still EIGHT!). The flavor is spot on and we absolutely love it with a squeeze of lime and some crema. I added a bit of cabbage, avocado, salsa, and cheese for a perfect dinner. Thank you, Mealthy, for a total quick-and-easy winner of a meal!