Pressure Cooker Authentic Tamales Chile Verde
- 1 pound boneless pork ribs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups water
- salt as needed
- ½ pound tomatillos
- green serrano chile peppers (to taste), minced
- water to cover
- 3 ounces white onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ pound lard, divided
- 1 pound corn dough
- 35 corn husks, steeped in hot water and drained
- 3 cups water
- Combine water, pork, and salt in inner steel pot of pressure cooker.
- Lock pressure cooker lid in place and turn steam vent handle to Sealing. Select Pressure Cook (Manual) and cook on High Pressure for 35 minutes. Turn the steam vent handle to Venting to quick-release pressure.
- Transfer pork to a bowl and shred with two forks. Pour cooking broth into a bowl. Wash and dry inner steel pot and return to pressure cooker.
- Place tomatillos and chilies in inner steel pot of pressure cooker. Pour water over to cover.
- Lock pressure cooker lid in place and set steam vent handle to Sealing. Select Pressure Cook and cook on High Pressure until soft and tomatillos change color, 2 minutes. Transfer tomatillos and chilies to a blender. Wash and dry inner steel pot of pressure cooker and return to pressure cooker base.
- Blend tomatillos and chilies, onion, cilantro, and garlic together in a food processor or blender until smooth.
- Heat 1 tablespoon lard in a large saucepan over medium heat. Pour tomatillo mixture into saucepan and fry in hot oil until hot, 5 minutes. Stir shredded pork into tomatoes and season with salt to taste.
- Beat remaining lard in a bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add corn dough, ½ cup reserved cooking broth, and salt; continue beating until dough comes together. Pinch off a small ball of dough and drop in a glass of water. If the ball floats, the dough is ready.
- Assemble the tamales. Arrange steeped husks on a flat work surface. Scoop 2 tablespoons dough onto each husk and top with 1 tablespoon meat sauce. Fold husks to form a tamale.
- Pour 3 cups water into inner pot of pressure cooker and place trivet in water. Arrange tamales on trivet in pot.
- Lock pressure cooker lid in place and set steam vent handle to Sealing. Select Pressure Cook (Manual) and cook on High Pressure for 40 minutes. Turn steam vent handle to Venting to quick-release pressure.
- Transfer tamales to plates and serve.
Enjoy with your favorite toppings, extra sauce, and a dab of crema.
What others are saying
Jaime Bowman says:
I love tamales but have never been able to make them at home until now! I made this with chicken instead of pork, and made the chile verde extra spicy. So much flavor, it really doesn't even need sour cream or toppings unless you absolutely have to. I can't wait to make these again.