Pressure Cooker Authentic Mole de Olla
- 1 pound boneless beef ribs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 whole white onion
- water to cover
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels
- 3 ounces carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 ounces squash, cut into ½-inch slices
- 3 roasted ancho chiles, stemmed and seeded
- 3 roasted pasilla chiles, stemmed and seeded
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 ounces diced white onion, plus more as needed
- To Serve
- corn tortillas, cilantro, chopped onion, lime wedges
For best results, we recommend using:
- Combine beef, whole white onion, coriander leaves, garlic, and salt in inner steel pot of pressure cooker. Cover meat and onion with water.
- Lock pressure cooker lid in place and set steam vent handle to Sealing. Select Pressure Cook (Manual) and cook on High Pressure for 45 minutes.
- While beef is cooking, bring 3 cups water to a boil in a pot. Add corn, carrots, and squash, cook until tender, about 20 minutes. Strain, discarding cooking liquid.
- Place ancho and pasilla chiles in a bowl and pour 2 cups boiling water over the top. Steep in water until hydrated, about 20 minutes. Strain, reserving liquid.
- Blend hydrated chiles with diced onion in a blender, adding reserved cooking liquid as necessary, until a very smooth sauce forms. Strain sauce through a fine-mesh sieve.
- Stir chile sauce into beef mixture in inner pot of pressure cooker.
- Set pressure cooker to Sauté on High, bring soup to a boil, and simmer until flavors combine, about 10 minutes. Add corn, carrots, and squash and continue to simmer, 5 minutes more. Serve soup in warm bowls with corn tortillas, cilantro, chopped onion, and a squeeze of lime.
Add 2-inch corn-on-the-cob pieces instead of kernels for variety.