Pressure Cooker Authentic Red Pozole
- 1 pound pork loin, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 5 cups water
- ½ white onion
- 1 clove garlic
- salt to taste
- 1 pound white hominy, rinsed
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 cups boiling water
- 3 dried guajillo chiles, stemmed and seeded
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ tablespoon ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- To Serve
- warm tortillas
- sliced avocado
- lime wedges
For best results, we recommend using:
- Place pork loin pieces in inner steel pot of pressure cooker and pour 5 cups water over pork to cover. Add onion, garlic clove, and salt to taste.
- Lock pressure cooker lid in place and turn steam vent handle to Sealing. Select Pressure Cook (Manual) and cook on High Pressure for 20 minutes. Turn steam vent handle to Venting to quick-release pressure.
- Stir hominy and bay leaves into pot with pork.
- Lock pressure cooker lid in place again and turn steam vent handle to Sealing. Select Pressure Cook (Manual) and cook on High Pressure for 35 minutes. Turn steam vent handle to Venting to quick-release pressure.
- While hominy is cooking, steep guajillo chiles in 2 cups boiling water until hydrated, about 20 minutes. Strain guajillo chiles, reserving liquid.
- Blend chiles and cumin together in a blender, adding reserved cooking liquid as needed, until a smooth sauce comes together.
- Stir sauce and ground black pepper into pork-hominy mixture. Season with salt and ground black pepper to taste.
- Ladle into bowls and serve with warm tortillas, sliced avocado, and a squeeze of lime.
Add your favorite red hot sauce to give your pozole a healthy zing!