Pressure Cooker Spicy Chickpea Soup
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 (14 ounce) cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 2 cups dried chickpeas (soaked overnight in 6 cups water and drained)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 cup chopped fresh dinosaur kale
- ground black pepper to taste
- red pepper flakes to taste
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese
For best results, we recommend using:
- Combine vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, soaked chickpeas, and chili powder in the inner steel pot of pressure cooker. Lock pressure cooker lid in place and set steam vent to Sealing. Select Pressure Cook (Manual) and cook for 20 minutes on High Pressure.
- Let pressure release naturally for 5 minutes, then set steam vent handle to Venting to quick-release remaining pressure.
- Stir kale, black pepper, and red pepper flakes into chickpea soup. The kale will quickly wilt.
- Garnish soup with Parmesan cheese.
Adjust soup consistency by adding more broth for a thinner soup.
Try goat cheese in place of the Parmesan cheese for topping.
Substitute bone broth for vegetable broth for extra flavor and protein, if not vegetarian.
Omit the chili powder if you don't want spice, or add your favorite seasoning in place of the chili powder.
What others are saying
Debra Moore says:
I forgot to soak the chickpeas, so I added 2 cans of them instead. No dinosaur kale at store, so I added about 2 cups of organic green kale. I only had some vegetable stock, rather than broth, on hand, and it was still delicious! Everyone liked it. I served it with salad.