Pressure Cooker Authentic Michoacán-Style Carnitas
- 2 whole tomatoes, diced
- ¼ white onion, diced
- 1 serrano chile pepper, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 pound boneless pork ribs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound pork loin, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ teaspoon salt
- water to cover
- 1 orange, zested and juiced
- ¼ cup lard
- ⅓ cup cola, such as Coca-Cola
- ⅓ cup sweetened condensed milk
- ¼ cinnamon stick
- 8 whole peppercorns
- ½ teaspoon dried crushed bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- ½ teaspoon dried marjoram leaves
- To Serve
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Sauté tomatoes, onion, serrano pepper, and garlic in inner steel pot of pressure cooker set to Sauté on High until hot and fragrant, 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer mixture to a blender with ¼ cup water and ½ teaspoon salt and blend until smooth. Wash inner steel pot and return to pressure cooker.
- Place pork ribs and loin into inner steel pot of pressure cooker. Season meat with ½ teaspoon salt and cover with water.
- Lock pressure cooker lid in place and set steam vent handle to Sealing. Select Pressure Cook (Manual) and cook on High Pressure for 35 minutes. Turn steam vent handle to Venting to quick-release pressure. Drain meat, discarding cooking liquid.
- Stir orange juice, zest, lard, cola, condensed milk, cinnamon, peppercorns, bay leaves, thyme, and marjoram into meat in inner steel pot of pressure cooker.
- Select Sauté on Normal and bring mixture to a simmer. Simmer until meat is heated through and tender, about 30 minutes. Remove meat from inner pot, chop, and transfer to a serving bowl. Pour sauce over meat (or into a side bowl) and serve with lime wedges and cilantro.
You can serve carnitas with Mexican rice, charro beans, or tacos accompanied by fresh cilantro, lime, and spicy Mexican sauces.