Pressure Cooker Authentic Green Mole with Chicken (Mole Verde)
- 1 pound chicken drumsticks
- 1 pound bone-in chicken thighs
- 1 bay leaf
- water as needed
- 6 tomatillos, husked and rinsed
- 1 white onion, chopped
- ⅔ cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup toasted sesame seeds
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves, plus more to garnish
- ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- ½ cup fresh spinach leaves
- 2 serrano chile peppers, stemmed
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons canola or corn oil
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Place chicken drumsticks, thighs, and bay leaf in inner steel pot of pressure cooker. Pour water over chicken to cover completely.
- Lock pressure cooker lid in place and turn steam vent handle to Sealing. Select Pressure Cook (Manual) and cook on High Pressure for 20 minutes. Turn steam vent handle to Venting to quick-release pressure.
- Transfer chicken and cooking liquid to a bowl. Wash and dry inner steel pot and return pot to pressure cooker base.
- Place tomatillos in inner steel pot and pour water over to cover tomatillos completely. Set pressure cooker to Sauté on High. Bring water to a boil and cook until tomatillos are soft, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain and transfer tomatillos to a blender. Wash and dry inner steel pot and return to pressure cooker.
- Blend tomatillos, 1 cup reserved chicken cooking liquid, onion, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, basil, cilantro, spinach, serrano peppers, and garlic in a blender until mole sauce is smooth, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Heat oil in inner steel pot of pressure cooker set to Sauté on High. Fry chicken legs and thighs in hot oil until browned on each side, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Pour tomatillo sauce into pot with chicken, bring to a simmer, and cook until flavors combine, about 10 minutes. Add more cooking liquid to thin the mole verde sauce as desired. Season with salt to taste.
- Divide chicken between plates and top with mole sauce and a sprig of basil.
The tomatillos, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, basil, spinach, cilantro, serrano chile peppers, and garlic give this dish its deep flavor. Make sure to use fresh ingredients for best results.