Air Fryer Fried Chicken
- 3½ cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 6 skin-on chicken legs
- 2 eggs, beaten
- cooking oil spray
- Preheat air fryer to 360°F (180°C).
- Add 1½ cups flour to a shallow bowl.
- Place remaining 2 cups flour, sea salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder in a separate shallow bowl and stir until seasoned flour is well mixed.
- Dredge 1 chicken leg in plain flour and shake off excess. Dip chicken in beaten egg, allowing any excess to drip off, and then dredge in the seasoned flour mixture.
- Place chicken leg into air fryer basket. Repeat until all chicken is coated.
- Spray chicken generously with cooking spray, using tongs to flip chicken and spray both sides.
- Cook chicken in air fryer until a golden crust forms and a thermometer inserted near the bone reads at least 165°F (75°C), 25 to 27 minutes. Turn the chicken every 5 minutes or so, to ensure golden crust is even.
- Carefully remove chicken from air fryer and serve immediately.
Want to make a gluten-free, Whole30, or paleo version? Try almond flour instead of all-purpose flour.
If you want to keep the seasoning simple, skip the garlic powder and onion powder!
What others are saying
Manny Cruz says:
Drool! This air fryer chicken turned out so good! No gross oil smell you get after deep frying chicken. I used a little seasoned salt and tossed drumsticks and thighs in my air fryer using the steps in this recipe. It was so good, I definitely will make again.