Broccoli and Beef
- ⅓ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced green onion
- ¼ teaspoon sesame oil
- ¼ teaspoon chili paste
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1 pound trimmed flank steak, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 12 ounces broccoli florets
- Whisk soy sauce, brown sugar, cornstarch, garlic, ginger, green onion, sesame oil, and chili paste together in a bowl until sauce is smooth.
- Mix flour and ground pepper together in a shallow bowl. Dredge flank steak in the flour mixture and shake to remove excess. Arrange coated steak pieces on a platter.
- Heat oil in a wok or large skillet over high heat. Add steak and stir-fry until cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer cooked steak pieces to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Stir-fry broccoli in the wok until bright green, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Return steak to the wok. Pour the sauce over the broccoli and steak. Bring sauce to a boil and cook until it thickens, 1 to 2 minutes. Toss to coat broccoli and beef in the sauce. Serve immediately.
The heat level in this recipe is mild. Add more chili paste to the sauce if you want an extra kick. Save even more time by pre-mixing the sauce in big batches to have on hand. It's like having your own bottled stir-fry sauce but without the preservatives.
What others are saying
Tiana D. says:
Broccoli beef is one of my favorite takeout dishes, so yummy. The one thing I don't like about this takeout dish though is that it tends to be very salty! For this dish I used liquid soy aminos rather than the soy sauce and the dish still held onto all the flavor. I recommend buy double the ingredients, you will want this two nights in a row!
Jen the Mighty says:
Who doesn't love broccoli beef? This is one of my go-to comfort foods, and I was so happy to see such a quick and easy recipe. I might experiment with different cuts of beef for a more tender cut, or try marinating the flank steak in some of the sauce in the future.
Katie Hason says:
Delicious broccoli and beef! Way better than take-out. This recipe is great with rice or noodles. The best part is that it's so quick! Can't wait to make this again.
Greg Jones says:
Much better than take out! Fresh, homemade, tender, and flavorful. Goes great with traditional fried rice or noodles. Definitely recommend this recipe and it's really easy to make.
Sarah Gray says:
I added a lot more chili paste to the sauce to make it spicy. This recipe is really good for meal preps too.