Beef and Vegetable Curry
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 large russet potato, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Melt ghee in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add ground beef and cook, breaking into small chunks with a spoon, until browned, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Stir onion, curry powder, garlic, and turmeric into ground beef and cook until onion softens, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Mix coconut milk, tomato sauce, and chicken stock into beef mixture. Add potato and carrots and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook until potatoes are softened, about 15 minutes.
- Stir peas and cilantro into curry mixture and cook until peas are heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Ghee is nutty-tasting, clarified butter that gives a lot of Indian cooking its distinctive flavor. The process to make ghee is simple but time consuming, if we're being honest. Luckily, you can buy good brands of ghee from markets, such as Whole Foods.
What others are saying
Aja A says:
So good! Made a big batch of this in my pressure cooker and will have leftovers for day. Definitely not mad at that! Will top this with some riced cauliflower.
Katie Hason says:
This curry was fantastic! I swapped out carrots for sweet potatoes the second time I made this dish. Loved it both times!
Pam Landy says:
I made this using sweet potatoes instead of potatoes and used coconut cream instead of coconut milk, I like creamy better. I cannot eat onions or garlic so I added 1/4 tsp Asafoetida which is a great flavor substitute for those of us unlucky enough to have food allergies. I also made it in my Mealthy pot. I cooked it on high pressure for 6 minutes, I like softer carrots, and did a quick release. It turned out wonderful.