Gluten-Free Parmesan-Crusted Fish
- 2 cups chopped cauliflower
- 2 teaspoons plus 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cod fillets (or other white fish fillet)
- 1 or 2 jalapeños peppers, seeded and minced
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Pulse cauliflower in a food processor until it resembles fine breadcrumbs; transfer to a large bowl. Drizzle 2 teaspoons olive oil over the cauliflower and stir to coat; spread onto a rimmed baking sheet.
- Roast cauliflower, stirring every 5 minutes, until lightly golden, 15 to 17 minutes. Spoon into a shallow bowl to cool.
- Mix 2 tablespoons olive oil and minced garlic together in a small bowl; season with salt and pepper. Brush the oil mixture onto cod fillets.
- Stir roasted cauliflower, jalapeño peppers, Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, parsley, garlic, 1 tablespoon olive oil, and lemon zest together in a shallow bowl; season with salt and pepper.
- Brush egg over the top of a cod fillet. Press the egg-brushed side into the cauliflower mixture until well coated and arrange in a shallow baking dish; repeat with remaining fillets.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the fish flakes easily with a fork, 10 to 15 minutes.
This gluten-free breading can be used with any fish, or even poultry, as long as it is baked. Given that it lacks flour, it will not hold together if fried. You can buy cauliflower rice at Trader Joe's to save a little bit of time. Sauté leftover cauliflower rice with garlic for a quick and easy side dish.
What others are saying
chef chris says:
i like this dish because it is low carb. the only thing missing is the crunchiness that you would get from breadcrumbs. otherwise the look is the same and it does taste pretty good.
Jen the Mighty says:
Cod fillets are easy to find, but I could see myself using this crust on halibut or even on chicken! The jalapenos give a nice bit of heat, and cauliflower is magically versatile, especially when pair with Parmesan cheese!