Cashew Chicken with Cauliflower Rice
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon chili-garlic sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup cauliflower rice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast, cut into small chunks
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large green bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 2 green onions, minced
- Stir soy sauce, oyster sauce, rice vinegar, brown sugar, chili-garlic sauce, and sesame oil together in a bowl until sugar dissolves.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in cauliflower rice; cover and cook until tender, 5 to 7 minutes.
- While the cauliflower rice cooks, heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper; add to skillet and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side.
- Stir in bell pepper, ginger, and garlic and sauté until the pepper softens, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in soy sauce mixture and cashews and bring to a simmer while scraping the bottom of the pan to deglaze.
- Simmer until the chicken is no longer pink in the center, 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Ladle cashew chicken over cauliflower rice and garnish with green onions to serve.
If you'd like a thicker sauce, make a slurry by whisking 1 tablespoon cornstarch with 1/3 cup cold water. Whisk into sauce with chicken and and simmer until thickened, about 1 minute. Ladle any extra sauce over cauliflower rice.
What others are saying
Kaylee Adams says:
Made the cashew chicken but didn't do cauliflower rice. This was a great recipe. The meat was really tender and full of flavor. Also, the tip to make a thicker sauce was perfect.
Steven Gomes says:
Made the cauliflower rice and cashew chicken at the same time in my pressure cooker using the convenient steamer basket feature. Took me a couple of tries to get it just right, but it's perfect. Love this recipe, so good.
Sheila Long says:
I made a slurry so that the sauce would thicken some. Best decision ever, it was delicious and perfect over the cauliflower rice. Also, I made the cauliflower rice in my pressure cooker. Probably going to try to make the entire dish in a pressure cooker.
Diana Marcoux says:
First time I ever tried making cauliflower rice and I loved it! However, not sure if it was me or the recipe but the sauce was way too salty for my taste. Perhaps less oyster sauce and more sugar would solve that issue. I used back sesame seeds to top it off.
Jen the Mighty says:
Cashews and chicken work so well together, and this dish demonstrates why. Add in the cauliflower rice and you have a hearty and filling meal. I love the zing from the ginger and rice vinegar as well.