Vegetarian Tacos with Beans and Mexican Rice
- Cilantro-Lime Crema:
- ¼ cup plain Greek-style yogurt
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- ½ cup salsa
- 1 can black beans, drained
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Mexican Rice:
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- ½ cup salsa
- 1 cup basmati rice, rinsed
- 2 cups hot vegetable stock
- Taco Filling:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, sliced thinly
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 12 taco-size corn tortillas
- Stir yogurt, cilantro, lime zest, and lime juice together in a small bowl until crema is smooth.
- Warm ½ cup salsa in a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Gently mash black beans into the salsa, leaving some whole for texture. Cook salsa and beans together until thick, about 20 minutes; season with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 teaspoon vegetable oil in a heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat; add ½ cup salsa and stir until heated through, about 30 seconds. Stir rice into the salsa to coat; cook until the rice is translucent, about 1 minute. Pour hot vegetable stock over the rice, stir, and cover pot with a tight-fitting lid. Reduce heat to low and simmer rice until tender, about 20 minutes; remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes. Fluff rice with a fork.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Sauté onion in hot oil until fragrant and beginning to brown, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir bell peppers, jalapeño pepper, and oregano into onion; season with salt and pepper. Sauté until peppers are tender and fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Wrap tortillas in a clean cloth or paper towel; microwave for 10 seconds or until warm.
- Spread a layer of rice onto each tortilla; top with beans and the vegetable mixture. Serve with the cilantro-lime crema.
Make it vegan by skipping the crema, or use a vegan sour cream substitute in place of the yogurt. Substitute cauliflower ice for the basmati rice if you want to reduce the grains and add more veggies. Or substitute quinoa or brown rice for the basmati if you want whole grains! Sprinkle fresh cilantro over the tacos for a burst of freshness.
What others are saying
Jen the Mighty says:
Using salsa to make the rice is awesome. As I was reading the recipe for the beans I thought "they forgot the bacon," which shows what kind of vegetarian I am. Even without the bacon, this is a winner! And the cilantro lime crema - YUM!
Katie Hason says:
I made this dish and the cilantro crema was definitely my favorite part of this recipe! The taco filling was also really delicious, especially with the onion and oregano. I didn't miss the meat at all in these vegetarian tacos.
Sam Dalton says:
These vegetarian tacos are delicious! I really liked the lighter Greek-style yogurt instead of using traditional sour cream. The taco filling was very good, I would for sure make these again.