Roasted Potatoes with Salsa Verde
- Roasted Potatoes:
- 1 ¼ pound potatoes, sliced ½-inch thick
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Salsa Verde:
- ¾ pound tomatillos
- 1 green chile pepper, or more to taste
- 1/2 large onion, cut into thirds and divided
- 1 clove garlic
- 5 ounces fresh cilantro
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease a baking sheet with olive oil.
- Arrange potato slices in a single layer on prepared baking sheet. Drizzle 2 tablespoons olive oil over the potatoes; season with salt and pepper.
- Roast in preheated oven for 20 minutes, turn, and continue to roast until crisp and golden, about 20 minutes more.
- For Salsa Verde, while the potatoes are roasting, combine tomatillos, chile pepper, 1 onion third, and garlic clove in a saucepan; add just enough water to cover. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat to low, and cook at a simmer until tomatillos are tender, 6 to 7 minutes; drain.
- Pour tomatillo mixture into a blender; add remaining onion, cilantro, and salt. Pulse mixture until smooth.
- Spoon salsa verde over individual servings of roasted potatoes immediately before serving.
Tomatillos look like small green tomatoes but they are actually a member of the gooseberry family. They are covered with papery husks that must be removed before using.
What others are saying
Erin Hudson says:
This recipe was a perfect pairing with our tequila lime shrimp. I used baby reds for the potatoes to cut down on the starch.
Jessica Scott says:
I had never tried potatoes with salsa before, but it was so yummy! The potatoes were extra crispy and delicious, and the salsa verde was perfect, way better than store bought. It's the perfect appetizer or game day good. Trust me, once you try this you'll be addicted.
Jen the Mighty says:
Tomatillos and potatoes pair perfectly. I love getting the potatoes crispy on the outside but still a bit soft, not quite crisy, on the inside. I also like to make the tomatillo salsa ahead of time so I can cool it in the fridge. Hot crispy potatoes paired with the cold tomatillo salsa is great treat!