Mexican Sincronizadas with Grilled Pineapple Pico de Gallo
- Grilled Pineapple Pico de Gallo
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ½ cup pineapple chunks
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- ¼ onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 small green chile pepper, deseeded and minced
- salt to taste
- 4 thick slices Cheddar cheese
- 4 flour tortillas
- 4 slices ham
- Melt coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat; add pineapple chunks and cook until golden, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool.
- Mix tomatoes, onion, cilantro, and chile pepper together in a bowl; season with salt.
- Lay a Cheddar cheese slice onto a tortilla; top with 2 ham slices, a second Cheddar cheese slice, and a second tortilla, respectively. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Heat a sandwich press to medium heat. Lay the sincronizadas on the grill and close; cook until the cheese is fully melted, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir the pineapple into the tomato mixture to finish the pico de gallo; serve with the hot sincronizadas.
You can also make these in a skillet; just make sure to cover it after two minutes so the cheese fully melts but the tortillas do not burn. Try queso fresco slices instead of Cheddar cheese. Thin slices of avocado on top of the cooked sincronizadas before adding the pico de gallo are a delicious addition!
What others are saying
Caro Hodgin says:
These "sincronizadas" are basically just ham and cheese quesadillas. That being said, I would never have thought to make a ham and cheese quesadilla! Definitely in my rotation for an easy snack now. The salty ham is SO delicious with the sweet, acidic pineapple salsa.
Laura Griffin says:
This was really delicious and definitely reminded me of a grilled cheese / quesadilla fusion. Very authentic flavors, love the salty and sweet combinations. I made this and added extra ham for my boys, they loved it.
Jenny J says:
Instead of ham I used chorizo sausage in these tasty sincronizasdas! The pineapple pico de gallo is a favorite, and pairs perfectly with the flavor and spice of the sausage.
Kaylee Adams says:
Decided to make these this in the skillet and it turned out nicely. Also, I used turkey instead of ham. I also used regular, store-bought pico de gallo.
Jazzy Brewer says:
Mine came out pretty close to the picture and I used a George Foreman grill to make the nice lines. The only thing I switched up was I used regular pico de gallo.