Mexican Sincronizadas with Grilled Pineapple Pico de Gallo
- Grilled Pineapple Pico de Gallo:
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ½ cup pineapple chunks
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- ¼ onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 small green chile pepper, deseeded and minced
- salt to taste
- 4 flour tortillas
- 4 thick slices Cheddar cheese
- 4 slices ham
- Melt coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat; add pineapple chunks and cook until golden, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool.
- Mix the tomatoes, onion, cilantro, and chile pepper together in a bowl; season with salt.
- Lay a cheese slice onto a tortilla; top with 2 ham slices, a second cheese slice, and a second tortilla, respectively. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Heat a sandwich press to medium heat. Lay the sincronizadas on the grill and close; cook until the cheese is fully melted, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir the pineapple into the tomato mixture to finish the pico de gallo; serve with the hot sincronizadas.
Feel free to make these in a skillet; just make sure to cover it after two minutes so the cheese fully melts but the tortillas do not burn.
What others are saying
Laura Griffin says:
This was really delicious and definitely reminded me of a grilled cheese / quesadilla fusion. Very authentic flavors, love the salty and sweet combinations. I made this and added extra ham for my boys, they loved it.
Caro Hodgin says:
These "sincronizadas" are basically just ham and cheese quesadillas. That being said, I would never have thought to make a ham and cheese quesadilla! Definitely in my rotation for an easy snack now. The salty ham is SO delicious with the sweet, acidic pineapple salsa.