Gluten-Free ‘Flour’ Tortillas
- 200 grams gluten-free flour mix
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon white sugar
- 25 grams butter, diced
- 140 grams hot water
- Whisk gluten-free flour mix, baking powder, xanthan gum, fine sea salt, and white sugar together in a large bowl. Mix the butter with the flour mixture using your fingers until it resembles bread crumbs.
- Pour hot water into the flour mixture a little bit at a time, mixing each addition with your hands to incorporate fully before adding more.
- Knead flour mixture until you have an elastic dough, 4 to 5 minutes; wrap dough in plastic wrap. Continue to knead dough through the plastic for a couple minutes more.
- Allow dough to rest for at least 15 minutes. If possible, prepare one day ahead of time and refrigerate cooled dough overnight.
- Heat a comal or a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Divide and roll dough into eight 1½-inch balls. Line a tortilla press with waxed paper. Gently squeeze a dough ball until it reaches the edges of the press; repeat with remaining dough portions.
- Cook tortilla in hot pan for 10 seconds, flip, and cook until lightly golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Flip tortilla once again and cook another 5 to 10 seconds before removing.
What others are saying
Ashley Melchiore says:
Being gluten-free was a huge obstacle at first, but now I am finding so many recipes. I had one for tortillas in a cookbook and it failed so miserable that I was hesitant to try this one, but it went really well. I just used the skillet and they were so delish.
Jen the Mighty says:
Ever since my mother announced she's gluten-free, I've had to stop complaining and start embracing the ways of gluten-free. Recipes and flour blends are more plentiful nowadays, which is great. Make sure you follow that Mealthy Tip and find the right flour mix with the right ratios! I didn't have a comal handy to fry my tortillas, but I did have a skillet and that worked just fine! I'm excited to get my mom's stamp of approval on these, because I think they're great!