Slow Cooker Shredded Beef for Tacos
- 1 (2½ pound) tri-tip beef roast
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 onion, sliced
- ½ head garlic, cut into two pieces
- 2 bay leaves, or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- Rub canola oil onto the roast to coat. Sprinkle salt and pepper onto the roast and rub into the meat..
- Heat a skillet on high heat. Sear roast in hot skillet until browned, 2 to 3 minutes per side; transfer to the crock of a slow cooker.
- Pour beef broth into the crock; add onion slices, garlic, and bay leaves.
- Mix chili powder, cumin, oregano, paprika, onion powder, and cayenne pepper together in a small bowl; add to the slow cooker.
- Cook on High for 6 hours.
- Remove beef roast to a bowl and shred using two forks.
- Drain slow cooker through a colander, reserving the liquid; discard the solids.
- Gradually mix the reserved liquid into the shredded beef until it reaches a desired consistency.
For added nutrition, fill your tacos with lots of fresh shredded lettuce or cabbage and chopped fresh tomatoes.
What others are saying
Sam Dalton says:
My wife and I used our slow cooker to make this recipe and we are both highly impressed. The beef broth with onion and garlic gave this meat delicious flavor, and it was very tender. It was also seasoned well with the cumin and other spices.
Jen the Mighty says:
I didn't have any beef stock handy so I used chicken, but that was hardly an issue. Where can you go wrong slow-cooking tri-tip until fork tender? So. Good. If you have leftovers and want something other than tacos, these would be great as a topping for nachos or just on a bun as a little pulled beef slider with some cabbage. Yum.