Mexican Salsa Verde
- 5 tomatillos
- 1/2 large onion, cut into thirds, divided
- 1 green chile pepper, or more to taste
- 1 clove garlic
- 5 ounces fresh cilantro
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Combine tomatillos, one onion chunk, green chile pepper, and garlic in a saucepan; add enough water to cover.
- Bring the water to a boil, reduce heat to low, and cook at a simmer until the ingredients have softened, 6 to 7 minutes; drain.
- Transfer to a blender or food processor; add the remaining onion, cilantro, and salt. Pulse ingredients until salsa reaches a desired consistency.
You can make this salsa ahead. Transfer to a jar and refrigerate up to 1 week.
What others are saying
Aja A says:
Yum! Love making my own salsa verde since most of the jarred stuff seems to have this weird color green. I toss my cilantro lime grilled shrimp on this stuff.
Randall Hauk says:
Salsa verde is among the best things life has to offer. I prefer a little heat to mine, so I goosed this a bit by adding a jalapeno pepper to the mix. Great partner for the first weekend of nfl football!