Classic Roast Beef Stew
- 2 pounds tri-tip beef roast, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1 onion, halved
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups beef broth, or as needed to cover
- 1 pound russet potatoes, cut into cubes
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
For best results, we recommend using:
- Liberally season beef with salt and pepper.
- Melt ghee in a large skillet. Sear beef cubes in hot butter until completely browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer beef to the pot of a slow cooker using a slotted spoon.
- Add onion and garlic to slow cooker. Pour enough beef broth into the cooker to assure beef is completely covered.
- Cover and cook on High for 2 hours.
- Remove the onion halves from the pot and discard; add potatoes, carrots, rosemary, and thyme.
- Cover and cook until beef and vegetables are tender, about 2 hours.
If you'd like to prep this savory stew in the morning to serve at night, prepare as directed through step 3, then cook on low for 6 hours. Add vegetables and cook for 2 more hours on high. If you don't have a slow cooker, use a Dutch oven and preheat oven to 325°F (165°C). Cover and bake stew until beef and vegetables are tender, 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
What others are saying
Laura Griffin says:
This beef stew recipe is solid! Classic dish and great flavors. Also, ghee for the win! I've been using this butter alternative for awhile, so it's nice to see it used in a dish. Yum!
Jen the Mighty says:
I used chicken broth instead of beef, but the results were delicious. I suppose the beef broth would make this even richer! Also substituted butter for ghee, as I didn't have that handy either. This is a very easy dinner and I could easily see setting my cooker in the morning and letting it cook all day for an even richer flavor!